ANST - Award recommendation issues..

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Thu Oct 9 15:48:09 PDT 1997

****Warning this is my opinion*** not representative of my Lord
My Laurel or my Barony***

>From what I can glean from my Laurel (Kingdom Historian) that of the papers
she has received from past crowns very few of them are award recommendations.
After querying some past crowns and been seneschal in two groups I have
found that

1 Opinions on what makes a person worthy for an award varies from person to
person and this  INCLUDES the CROWN. There is no set list. There are
very loose guidelines as outlined in Corprea for Peerages and the Ansteorran
awards are in the constitutions of the awards last published as part of
the july 1991 OP and published periodically as changes are made in the
Black Star.

2 Sometimes awards are given on the recommendation of a single person.

3 The Crown does not always check with the B&B or published officers
of a group to get a reference for the award.

4 Of the Peerages the Laurels are most willing to work with a candidate
and at least give them a clue about what the problem might be.
Knights in the past have used the "well if you just ___" carrot for long
enough that candidates got disgusted (They don't seem to be doing that
as much these days) The Pelicans, if they have a problem don't seem to
be able to go to the candidate and even verify it or give that person
any inkling that there is a problem or find a way to resolve it.

5 *********The Ultimate Decision on ALL AWARDS (except the Sable Wreath)
********* IS the CROWN*******

6 Whether you think that any award to be handed out is deserved or not
IT EXISTS the only thing that you can do is to make sure that people
you see and think deserve awards are recommended to the crown.(This

you see and think deserve awards are recommended to the crown.(This

means that YOU have to write and send that recommendation)

Just my 2 cents.....

Any references to peerages is meant to be general observances of the order
from the outside not pertaining to specific persons.

Lorraine DeerSlayer