ANST - Stefan's article for Novemb

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sun Oct 12 23:28:14 PDT 1997

Greetings,

Here is a copy of my article for November. Please remember that if you
do publish it, I would like notification by email. While I do not require
a copy of the newsletter that it is printed in, it is appreciated. I
like to know when it is published, so I know whether it is worthwhile
to continue with this monthly article.

I have found that some people do not see the double quotes around
some of the article titles in the right-hand column. And yes, the
article list portion should be in two columns, filename on the left
and description on the right. Using a non-proportional font such as
courier may help.

If you or perhaps your local newsletter editor would like to be added
to the list of people I send a copy of this to by email, please
contact me by email.

Stefan li Rous
============================

A Blending of the Past and Present

Because I am now getting materials for my files from a variety of sources in
addition to the Rialto (rec.org.sca) including articles sent to me by email
and several mail lists, I have decided to rename my files, StefanÕs Florilegium.

Florilegium - (literally, "a gathering of flowers").  In medieval times,
Florilegia were collections of choice tidbits (from Ovid, Aristotle, various
popes, church scholars, etc.) arranged topically. Typically, a florilegium is
huge, encyclopedic, and contains only choice selections from particular works.

Anyone interested in these files is encouraged to request a copy of my complete
filelist by email. I can send this filelist or any of these files by email or
by copying them to a computer diskette if you donÕt have WWW access.

Those of you who have World-Wide-Web (WWW) access can get these files at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html.

    Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036   markh at risc.sps.mot.com

Here are the new files for this month:

Cheese-Making-art     ÒCheese Making for the Compleat NoviceÓ by
                         Lady Aoife Finn.
cookbooks2-bib        Cookbook bibliography by Stephen Bloch.
HC-butchers-art       For Headcooks - How to work with your local butcher.
ironing-msg           Medieval ironing of clothes. Ironing tools.
Period-Pies-art       ÒRaising a Coffin or the Fine Art of Making
                         Period Pies.Ó by Lady Aoife Finn.
rec-AFCF-art          Recipes from AethemearcÕs First Crown Feast.
rope-msg              Medieval ropemaking. Rope materials.
Soapmakng-CMA-art     ÒSoapmaking in the Current Middle AgesÓ by
                         Gillian Fhlaitheamhail (Fraya Davis).
turnips-msg           Turnips in period. Recipes.
V-Arts-and-A-art      ÒViking Arts and Artifacts (A Biblio. of
                         Interesting Articles) by Gunnora Hallakarva.

These files have had substantial additions this past month:

aprons-msg            Medieval aprons for both men and women.
butchering-msg        Medieval meat butchering of animals.
Byzantine-msg         Byzantine culture, clothing, commerce.
chicken-msg           Period and SCA chicken recipes.
cook-flowers-msg      Cooking with flowers. Medieval flower dishes
linen-msg             Period and modern linen cloth. Sources. Care
pottery-msg           Medieval pottery, kilns. modern equivalents.
sauces-msg            Period sauces. Sauce recipes.

For those who may be new to the Society or who are involved with those
who are, I want to highlight the files in my NEWCOMERS section:

4-newcomers-msg       Comments directed at SCA newcomers.
callig-beg-msg        Hints for beginning calligraphers.
courtesy-msg          Courtesy guidelines in the SCA and period.
                         Hand-kissing and bowing.
names-FAQ             Choosing and registering names in the SCA.
SCA-courtesy-art      Courtesy guidelines by Ioseph of Locksley.
SCA-intro-art         An Introduction to the SCA.
SCA-Rialto-FAQ        SCA FAQ list from the Rialto (rec.org.sca).
SCA-trans-msg         How to handle the move from one group to
                         another. For the people in the group too.

---
Copyright 1997, Mark S. Harris, 5628 Wagon Train Rd. Austin TX  78749.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged.

<end>