ANST - If a tree falls in the woods?

Ghislaine Fontaneau/Elayne Hoover elyh at wcc.net
Mon Oct 13 02:30:35 PDT 1997

joelight wrote:

> Okay, here's my nickel...
*snip*
> I read "if a tree falls..."  It could have been a
> verbatim description of Western Sentinel held two weekends ago.  We had only
> one outside our Region to come.  But, you know what, WE STILL HAD A GOOD
> TIME.  Many of us have learned to adopt the attitude that it is quality and
> not quantity that makes an event.  It doesn't matter who hosts the event,
> you will find people from all our groups helping with all the activities.
> And you know what, you really should come and see us sometime, you might
> HAVE A GOOD TIME.
>
> Ulrica

Whoo-Hoo!!!!  I agree.  I've been to many events out here in the western
region--a lot of them seem to be the same exact people, same activities,
same garb, etc, just at a different site.  It's rather like a family
reuinion, not just because we've become family, but because it's always
the same fifty or so people who show up over and over.  Let me tell you;
people from out-of-region stick out like a sore thumb!

But just because we don't get a large number of "visitors" doesn't mean
we don't HAVE A GOOD TIME.  We have a FABULOUS TIME whenever we're
together.  Some of the most fun I've had at any event in any part of the
Knowne World has been while in a tent, waiting out the tornado, with all
my back-home buddies, whom I see all the time, and who are still people
I look forward to seeing.

So ignore those pesky statistics, put the sign-up sheet out of your
mind, and just worry about having a great event.  So you cooked for 1000
and only got 100?  Good, more for me to eat.  So there were only three
fighters in the tourney?  Great, more time to work out senerios.  Or
maybe just more time for teaching and learning.  Our goal should be
people, not numbers.

But by the same token, I encourage everyone who can travel to TRAVEL!
There are a lot of really cool people out there, go find them!  If you
start driving six, seven, eight hours to make an event, let the autocrat
know what a great time you are having and invite them to come to your
next event.  We cannot expect people from out-of-region to come to our
events if we've never been to one of theirs.  They don't know us, we are
strangers, why should they drive forever and a day to hang out with
strangers when they can stay in their own shire and go to weekend
fighter practice?  I went to a recent event in Bonwicke that was
attended by a number of Bjornsborgers.  Ever driven from Bjornsborg to
Bonwicke?  It's a heck of an undertaking--and they did it just because
someone from Bonwicke had gone to one of their events and made friends.

We are all ambasadors for our local groups.  If we wish to promote our
local group to the rest of the kingdom, we must be able to meet the rest
of the kingdom half-way.

Ghia
--
Madame Ghislaine Fontanneau