ANST - If a tree falls in the woods?

tegan at swbell.net tegan at swbell.net
Mon Oct 13 17:38:35 PDT 1997

Paul Mitchell wrote:

> Well, Namron Protectorate is Columbus Day weekend every year; that's
> in Kingdom Law, last I looked.  Groups can schedule their events to
> conflict with it if they want to, but they must be aware that it's
> one of the Big Events, like Steppes Warlord, where a LOT of stuff
> goes on.

 Unfortunately, the Loch chose to undergo this conflict.

I was the autocrat for this event and believe me if I could have gotten
a better weekend I would have jumped at it.
Unlike Baron Bors and Lord Alexis I am not amazed at the low attendence
I wonder if I had of gotten up saturday morning to the weather we had
if I would have gone to an event even in the next Barony.

We in the Loch have had a very tough year and I believe that maybe
there are a few who, because this event was dedicated as it was to
Baroness Cadi, feel the sting of empty chairs deeper than they normaly
would.
They know how hard she had worked when she was with us to try and build
up the attendence at our events or get us a kingdom event where we could
show more people what the Loch is capable of.
Believe me sir Galen I made no attempt to play David to Namron's
Goliath I just did the best I could with what I was given.

There is also one other point in the original post that I have to
disagree with. Alexis said there was not one peer at this event. I have
a totally different slant on this. I saw a chivalric fighter as he
put it "at a fru fru event" up to his ears in work serving, fetching,
carrying, entertaining whatever we needed. I saw a kitchen crew that
never once complained about the lack of feasters but worked diligently
to give the ones we had the best feast they could. I saw people, whose
names I did not know before last weekend but believe me I will never
forget, sloshing out in the muck and having a wonderful time doing it.
I heard Bards that moved me and tickled me and saw some pretty talented
artisans. I like to think of them as "Peers yet to be announced".
I'm sorry if somehow you got the impression that we were bitter,I for
one had a wonderful time and I think that the company though small in
numbers was of a quality hard to match.
I even had the thrill of watching a few chivalric fighters try thier
hand at rapier,not a pretty sight I warn you. But certainly worth the
price of a ticket.

The sight was wet but beautiful, the people were few but large in
heart , the food was hot,tasty and plentiful and any event where the
autocrat hears only one complaint save the weather is a damded fine one
indeed.

Cadi would have loved it.
Tegan Rhos