ANST - If a tree falls in the woods?

Dieterich cjw at vvm.com
Mon Oct 13 19:33:08 PDT 1997

Daniel wrote:
>Ritter Die John Smith wrote:
>> Boy, these problems sound so much like the ones any kingdom that has grown
>> large enough to support Prinicpalities encounters, don't they?
>
>(The pansy says, "Oh no, not again".)
>
>Please explain your reasoning.  Then again, considering the last
>debate, maybe you shouldn't.

Remember you asked when the 59th post comes through on the same subject.

>Baronial events would still be on the kingdom calendar; they'd still
>conflict across principality boundaries, or not, as they do now.  The
>problem here was people from out of the region not showing up;

Or that the region is too small.  Or that the scheduling system is messed
up.  Or that the weather was bad.  Or that we allow for too many events.  Or
that we were all sick with the flu bug.  I think there are other possible
ways to view this and you have over-simplified it.

> I don't
>see how having principalities would *increase* attendance.

Awwww crud.  Now I went and did it, didn't I?  I just *knew* somebody would
see through the blatent air of humor I put in that post and ask if there was
any substance.

Okay, Daniel, here it is:  IN MY OPINION, an overcrowded calandar is a
symptom of a kingdom that is trying to grow.  Principalities are the
groundwork one lays for the possibility of another kingdom in the future.
Having either more kingdoms or fewer events is the only way you can insure
higher local attendance.  That's it.  Either grow or die.  Funny how it
mimics nature, isnt it?

Although I do not consider this reason enough in it's own right to start up
the process for a new principality, it is a step towards solving the
scheduling turmoil.

Additionally, I'd like to say that IN MY OPINION (and I have the benefit of
having lived in principalities before) people travel less in a kingdom with
principalities.  It's much different psychologically when you exist as a
principality rather than the ambiguous 'region'.  As a point of evidence, I
asked about a dozen various members of the SCA recently which region they
were in... more than half didn't know.  That just doesn't happen with a
principality.  To give something a name is to empower it.

On that note, I shall pack the rest of my caravan for Cathay.  I will return
from my uncles service in just over a month, god willing and bandits cease.
I'll miss you all dearly while I am away.

Sorry to stir the pot and bolt... I'll read the ripostes when I return.  Til
then, have fun Daniel:)

Sir Dieterich