ANST - group names

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Tue Oct 14 19:55:17 PDT 1997

At 06:04 PM 10/14/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Donald C. Walker wrote:
>>
>> Maddie Teller-Kook wrote:
>> >
>> > I do believe Stargate was named for its proximity to NASA.
>> >
>> > meadhbh
>> >
>>   That's what I heard from some of the old, old-timers like Tostig and
>> such. However, if my map is correct it seems like the Loch has a better
>> claim on the Stargate.
>>                               Garth

>That is true. BUT, I don't think the Loch existed at the time Stargate
>was founded... any 'old timers' out there that would know?
>
>meadhbh

I suppose I qualify as a Stargate oldtimer. Even though I've been living in
Bryn Gwlad for the last many years, I spent my first five SCA years in
Stargate (AS 10 to 15).

Anyway, your supposition is correct. When Stargate was founded, it included
*all* of the Houston area. A few years later a group called Southern Isles
started in Galveston, and claimed the Clear Lake area, but they died from
severe internal politics. A few years after that, the Loch started.

	-Tivar Moondragon