ANST - Question RE: House Trinity

Carl Hess cjhess at uai-unger.com
Mon Oct 20 10:11:15 PDT 1997

<snipped>

> Baronne Suzanne Beraud wrote:
> >we were wondering whether anyone else in Ansteorra has any specific
> >problems with anything that we have done...<( and then quoting from an
> undated letter)
> >"Ran into a fellow SCAer who just came from middleford (didn't recognise
> him) he heard of >house trinity and all he's heard is bad things nothing
> specific."

He probably just made it up to get a rise out of your friend.  I'm sure it
wasn't meant to be harmful.  And if it was, well, that's a lick on him.  :)

> Alton wrote:
> I am probably as anonymous to you, as you are to me.  So allow me to ask
> several questions: Who or what is House Trinity?  Why would anyone say
> anything bad about them?  Is this damage control?

All good questions, but it would appear that the latter is the reason for
the communication.  Although I have often said that it is better to talked
about than to be ignored, not everyone subscribes to this theory.  And, in
a volunteer organization such as the SCA, it is best to have as few people
think badly of you as possible.

> I think jumping to defend one's associates is an admirable thing, but
c'mon?
>  Isn't this just a little bit dramatic?  I mean, based on the
conversations
> between to two SCAers thousands of miles away, you are launching an
online

I think the mailing list is good, but we kind of want for topics sometimes,
and I think this might be a good thing to discuss.  The SCA is a small, but
widespread community.  Sir Galen once told me that every SCAer is 2 degrees
of separation from every other SCAer.  Meaning that if you meet someone in
the SCA that you don't know then they will know someone you know, or
someone you know will know someone they know, etc.

Saying that you have heard "bad things" about someone's household can mean
that you have heard those things from someone who knows that household
quite well.  It could also mean that you are just a troublemaker and need
more things to occupy your time.

> fact finding mission.  What has transpired in the past for you to take
such
> an action as this?  Maybe you should seek to solve that problem before
> opening the floodgates for the dark side of the SCA, namely, idle
speculation
> and character assassination.

One problem I have had with the SCA in past is that you NEVER know who you
have unintentionally upset, insulted, or just pissed off.  Very rarely will
someone approach you and say, "Hey! I'm a human being, and I paid my
membership fee, and you should treat me better than that."  Instead, most
folks stay quiet and stew.  Then one day, out of the blue, you hear that
your household are a bunch of jerks who rhino-hide, skip out on site fees,
and smoke cigarettes on the aeric, or some similar ridiculous sins against
humankind.  This is the "dark side" of the SCA, as the good Alton put it.

Having been a recipient of such "hard feelings" in the past, I can
sympathize with House Trinity.  Sometimes you have to just sit back and
say, "I have lots of friends in the SCA.  Maybe I don't know the King, and
maybe none of the laurels know that I make soapstone carvings of Norse
gods.  But darn it all, I like the SCA, and all my friends like me and if
any of them had a problem with something I said or did, then they would
tell me, and that's what's important."

~Scipio