ANST - Crown finals

SOC STUDIES camlewis at swbell.net
Mon Oct 20 19:14:26 PDT 1997

Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> Sir Barn fought with skill, desire, and extreme grace.
>
> In his last fight I had the good fortune to take his leg. I asked him to
> yield, stating that this was Crown and I would fight him with all I had if
> he didn't. Still, Sir Barn declined. Thinking it over I then dropped to my
> knees even though he was asking me not to. At my small act of chivalry,
> where he still stood a good chance of victory. He yielded. I know how that
> act broke his heart.
>
> To Sir Barn. Your actions upon the field of honor proclaim more than any
> rank or title you wear. It is actions like this which show why the term
> "knight" is held in such high esteem.
>
> I thank you for the honor you gave me and the honor you gave Ansteorra.

I know the esteem Sir Barn holds for the crown lists.  At the moment he
yielded to Sir Gunthar I knew exactly why I have always held Sir Barn so
high in respect.  I only hope to become half as honorable a knight as my
former knight is.  To Sir Gunthar, giving up an advantage took great
courage and Chivalry that not many fighters would do in a like
situation.  Everyone should know of the acts that these two took in a
very stressful situation (semi-final round of Crown Tournament)and they
both did so with Honor.  Remember all, we play this game for Chivalry
and Honor, to emulate the ideals of the dream.  It is not if we win that
is important, it is how we play the game.

Sir Alrek Kanin
still a bunny