ANST - re: ANST- Ladies Chest Protection

Vanora Villon vanora at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 28 20:59:33 PST 1997

 Personally, I hate any
type of chest armor.  It's hot and uncomfortable and restricts movement
way
too much.  But I wear it none the less.

Same here.

<snip>
Back in 1979 or 1980, when I started fighting the first time, I
consulted
with my mother, who is a physician (OB/GYN), and she in turn consulted
with
 a colleague of hers who specializes in diseases of the breast.  Both
agreed fully that while getting hit in the tits with heavy rattan might
hurt, and could certainly cause bruising, there was no medical reason
that
it was a bad thing: they agreed it could not cause cancer, deformity, or
other breast disease.
<snip>
I've gotten hit in the breast a time or three -- the worst being a time
when I caught a great sword going full speed and stopped it with my
breast.

Been there, done that. All I could say infront of the miror was, "Pretty
colours!". No damage done, though... heck, my squire-brother (Heingist)
has done worse damage to my leg in one shot!

<snip>
The blows I've
received there caused no scarring, no deformation, and no problems.
<snip>
Basically, wearing only a gambeson to protect the chest is stupid.

But should be a choice.

<snip>
Wearing rigid or semi-rigid armor to protect the chest does make
more sense, as it will tend to spread the force of the blow, keeping
shots
from concentrating on the breastbone or on a rib and possibly causing
serious injury.
Thing is, I don't think that just women should be required to wear this
type of armor -- the tits don't need protecting, the sternum does -- and
thus men and women alike should protect it if *any* of us have to.

Thank you! My point exactly!

<snip>
 And likewise body armor should be a matter of choice as far as I'm
concerned: plate armor for the chest, some hot padding in a gambeson, or
nothing -- I really wish they'd leave it up to the wearer.

That's my opinion.

Thank you for expressing it too!

  I'd be glad to come up with the medical information
about trauma injuries and breast risk factors related to same if the
marshallate would find it helpful in making a useful decision.

(Karl, I'm speaking for you on this one). Yes, Gunnora, we ladies would
appriciate any help you would give... I'm sure it would make Karl's job
easier, too. He's been pretty busy and needs us to be the ones to gather
such info. E-mail me anytime you want at <vanora at hotmail.com> on this
topic... or we can keep doing this on the mailing list so that Karl, the
other ladies, the knights (yes honey, I WILL be hitting you white-belts
up, too), and anyone else who's interested can know what's going on.

::GUNNORA::
Gunnora Hallakarva,
Writing from work
(This account goes away Nov 10, 1997 -- write to me at gunnora at bga.com)

Thank you so much!

In Service,
~Lady Vanora Villon de Paris~

(:"When life hands you lemons... stuff them in your bra!" :)