ANST - Whips in the SCA????

Bethor2000 at aol.com Bethor2000 at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 23:45:29 PDT 1997

M' lord,

You obviously have some knowledge of the "history of whips".  If the whip is
an accessory to the garb of a particular pesona (a drover, for example) then
why not?  But, I must admit I find the whole "pirate with a whip thing " is
about as digestible as the Ninja craze.  Did'nt most pirates end up being
pirates because they were thrown off (or fled, or mutinied, or etc.) ships of
the line where discipline was enforced with such instruments?  It seems most
pirates would have little to lose by facing down (or back stabbing) some
first mate(of a pirate ship) who laid thier back open with a whip.

As for the practice of "whip cracking" at events:

If its done safely and is appropriatly supervised, why not?  Enjoy your game!

In service...

Alton