ANST - Whips in the SCA????

LdAlexndr at aol.com LdAlexndr at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 20:57:32 PDT 1997

      Hi ho!!!

   My name is HL. Fionnagain Dubh. I was once (you may or may not recall) the
Kingdom Bard of Ansteorra. However, that time has passed (An the crowd
cheered).

   My reason for posting here is to generate feedback concerning single tail
whips in the SCA.
    1.) No, This is not a discussion of perversion or S&M, But a discussion
of whips as a period weapon, agricultural tool, and a form of entertainment
(The public kind).
    2.) Yes, the whip is period, in single and multi-tail form. The Egyptians
used multi-tailed, yet cave paintings show long flexible single tailed in
use, probably made of vine. The Greeks used single tailed whips made of
strips of leather, as did the Romans, who used them as a weapon in the arena
and as tools of pleasure (Though the practice is probably older). The Celts
used pulverized wood to twist whips, which are the same horse whips and
chariot whips refered to in the legends of Cuchalain.
Rumor has it the Arabs used a long silk whip, filled with stone weights and
capable of beheading a camel. (That cannot be proven, but the rumor itself is
period). It wasn't until the late 1700's that braided leather was used in the
making of whips. This is where creative anachronism comes into play.
    3.) No, I do not expect the whip to ever be welcome on the tourney field,
and for good reason. Like axe throwing and dancing, I consider it an active
performance art.
    4.) Another good reason for this discussion is safety. I have seen many a
mercenary or pirate captain in this "let's copy Xena" generation carrying
cheap poorly made whips, whips they have no problem swinging in the presence
of others. A lack of skill with the weapon combined with a lack of knowledge
of this weapon's potential make a dangerous combination. The whip is not
taken seriously due to a universal  ignorance of it's capabilities. This
needs to stop. This is why I teach.

What's the general opinion out there, gang?

~Fionnagain.