ANST - Length of Gulf Wars

Ghislaine Fontanneau/Elayne Hoover elyh at wcc.net
Thu Sep 4 22:29:29 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Kassandra NickKraken said:
>
> >The dates for next year's Gulf Wars are March 11 - 15 1998
>
> Only five days? I think Gulf Wars is getting big enough to support
> another day or two. Even if it is unofficial like Pennsic. I would
> gladly pay additional money to be able to set up a day or two
> earlier. For more and more people, the local wars like Gulf Wars
> are replacing Pennsic.

It is--it's closer to home so more of *us* can get there.

> Am I alone in these thoughts? Or is there some contractural thing
> with the site owners or something that keeps the event from being
> lengthened? How do others feel about the length of Gulf Wars?
>
> Stefan li Rous

Well, for one thing, that's a cool idea, but my vacation in March is
considerably shorter than my vacation in August.  August is part of my
three month break in the summer.  If I went to Pensic, I would hav
plenty of time to recover before school starts in September.  Gulf, on
the other hand, is during my 5 day spring break.  I have one weekend on
each side of that, but no other time left fot travel or event recovery.
I know I'm not alone in this scheduling dilemma. It is, after all, one
of the things that prompted me to ask for career advice from other
SCAers.  BTW--I think I'll just be a college professor.  History, of
course.

Ghia

--
Madame Ghislaine Fontanneau