ANST - New noncombat topic

Damaris of Greenhill damaris at io.com
Fri Sep 5 13:34:57 PDT 1997

Mjccmc01 at aol.com wrote:

> What I'm finding interesting about the thread is how favorable the reaction
> is to Laurels competing; the reaction to the previously mentioned Steppes
> Artisan was decidedly not.  (This is all a moot point to me, since I hate A&S
> competitions and have never entered them, even before I was a Laurel, unless
> it was a "support your Kingdom for a war point" situation.  I do find it
> fascinating from a PR/perception standpoint.)

Siobhan,

I've never had a problem with a laurel being in a competition I was in.
Now true I've only entered brewing arts and I don't really know of any
brewing laurels, but many of the Laurel's circle including my own
Mistress Meadhbh, and my beloved Gunnora have given me many helpful
suggestions and ideas for new ways of expanding and improving my art.

> I know several of my fellow Laurels (and I certainly don't presume to speak
> for all of them) are made to feel as if we are "robbing" someone when we
> enter a competition.  There have been several instances when members of the
> populace have been _very_ vocal about it.  That, added to the completely
> absurd notion that all judges should be Laurels, tends to keep us from
> competing.  The only real analogy I can draw to the Chivalry is that "only
> knights should marshall fighting."

I wouldn't feel robbed.  I do what I do because I like doing it and I
enjoy seeing others enjoy the "fruits of my labors".  I also enjoy the
word fame.  My Sable Thistle and Muse mean a lot to me as did winning
the Brewing prize at Laurel's Prize Tourney.  But I get so much
satisfaction out of people coming to me and saying "wow that's the best
mead I've ever tasted and I've tasted a lot."

> So it seems to me that we are in a sort of Catch-22.  If we compete, people
> are upset because we are unfair.  If we don't compete, we are perceived as
> "inactive" or not up with the current standard.
>
> So, given that some people are going to be unhappy no matter what happens,
> what are some suggestions for how to deal with this?  I've discussed it with
> other Laurels, but I think commentary from those outside the circle would be
> helpful.

Well IMHO those who have problems with it are going to be unhappy about
any and everything.  Face it, Members of the Laurel, y'all just CAN'T
make everybody happy.  I do think y'all are doing the very best you can
do and I also think you all don't get near enough praise for the things
you do DO like teaching, judging, taking apprentices, etc. etc.
Speaking for myself only,  I would tend to tell those who are critical
of y'all's efforts, to "get over themselves".  But I know the agony you
all go through in trying to keep that balance between participating in
competition and being thought of as taking unfair advantage for doing
so.

Thanks for starting this thread.  I don't usually get inspired to
comment this much.  Back to lurking about.
--
         Damaris of Greenhill -- mka: Susan Wieland
                            * * *