ANST - Gothic War

Martha Lee Nichols mnichols at tenet.edu
Sun Sep 7 08:54:40 PDT 1997

Gnith, et. at.,
First, I want to thank you so much for coming to Gothic.  Your ballista
was "way cool".  Now to address the "Anna and Marthe Feud".  Several years
ago, Ansteorra and the Outlands had a war that alternated locations
between the borderlands of both groups.  Things happened and the war was
cancelled.  For those members whose job allows limited travel, this was
their only opportunity for melee fighting.  Catherine and Rufus suggested
to us that since we were the only brass hats in the Western Region, that
we start an event to replace the war for our populace.  The "persona
story" of the event didn't even exist that first year.  It grew like
gossip.  One person would add or embellish the previous telling and so on.
I believe the final concensus was that I challenged Hakon's right to
collect taxes from my estates because I do not reside in his barony.  The
years Anna actually won, Cad and I paid taxes (even though it was
officially a draw).  Of course, the taxes were paid in Cad bucks (another
story).  In truth, this event has turned out to be one of the most fun I
go to, and will be even when I'm not the excuse for having it.
Marthe de Blenkinsop