ANST - New noncombat to

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Mon Sep 8 14:09:38 PDT 1997

Aquilanne states:

> The first Kingdom A&S competition I entered was in Atenveldt.
> Entry into at least eight categories was required to compete for Champion.
>I was not a Laurel at the time. I won.

Wow. *Eight* categories??? Just how narrowly were these categories drawn?
Would glass beads and wooden beads be in two seperate categories? Or
clay pots and clay beads?

What categories did you have stuff in?

>>Some people want to allow Laurels to compete, but to structure the
>>competition so that Laurels compete only with Laurels.

>Basic point here: If an individual chooses to display and offer their
>artwork for sale mundanely, their success--in sales--is based on the
>quality of their work, not whether or not they've been given some kind of
>"handicap" because of lack of experience or lack of credentials. Once
>they've chosen to enter this level of competition, they should be able to
>hold their own.

Along these lines, I think it is preferable to have the names of the
individuals and their laurel/non-laurel status hidden from those who are
judging the work to eliminate any laurel/anti-laurel bias. After the
judging I would want to see the names available so that others interested
in a particular art would know who to approach for more info or to
discuss things. And to simply let people know who is doing the good craft
and art work in the kingdom.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com
(Eight categories? Got a long way to go before I could enter that sort
of contest. sigh)