ANST - Why A&S Gets Ignored

Lee Martindale lmartin at airmail.net
Mon Sep 8 21:31:30 PDT 1997

Greetings, Mistress Gunnora

Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:

> I've been thinking today about why some displays might get ignored by
> judges, and I have thought about one situation that no one has mentioned.
> I am not saying that this applies to anyone we have been talking about, but
> it does happen.  What do you do, as a judge, when you are presented with
> the work of some enthusiastic artisan who is proud of their work, when the
> item being displayed is, well, horrible?

A situation that, I have no doubt, crops up quite often.  If I may
suggest, the fact you have deemed it horrible implies that you have
taken a close enough look to judge it so.  You have, if I may so
so, kept your convenant with the entrant; you have done them the
courtesy of examining the work.

> Let's say, for example, M'lady Bright-eyed has laboriously sculpted a
> representation of the queen using cow manure as a medium. You know it's the
> queen only because she says it is on the label.  You look at this sculpture
> and see, well, a pile of cow dung, and in more ways than one.  Just
> starting from the top of the list, there is zero aethetic appeal as it is a
> shapeless blob, no utility (who wants a cow manure statue unless to
> fertilize their garden?), as far as I am aware no one in the Middle Ages
> used cow dung in this manner, and moreover the normal medium for scupture
> was clay for models which eventually were made in final version in stone or
> bronze.  In short, the horrified judge can find nothing good at all to say
> about this entry.

About the entry, perhaps not.  But might it not be in keeping with
your duties as judge to acknowledge the effort involved, and the fact
that M'Lady Bright-eyes has actually gone to the effort of actually
entering?

> A few issues back in T.I., I saw a suggestion that judges should not allow
> themselves to give one negative comment unles they have offered 4 or 5 or 6
> positive comments first.   I have heard it  suggested that judges should
> use the "ham sandwich" school of judging, where your critique consists of
> fluffy white stuff, a very thin little slice of meat, and then more fluffy
> white stuff.  But what do you do when there are NO redeeming qualities
> other than the fact that you have an enthusiastic artisan?

Is that not, in and of itself, a redeeming quality?  Enthusiasm may
well be the most valuable thing M'Lady Bright-eyes brings to the
event.  I often think it is the most valuable thing any of us bring
to the Society - and is made more so the longer we can retain it.

  I'd like to
> hear wat judges and or Laurels have to say, but I'd also really like to
> hear from the artisans... what would you want a judge to say to you if what
> you had displayed was really, really bad?

Whatever is said, may I respectfully suggest that it be prefaced with
"In my opinion"...since that is, after all, only the truth.

> I can see that the temptation for the judge would be to just pass by such a
> display entirely, rendering the point moot.

I can also see how very tempting it would be.  But may I suggest
that it may well be that that judge might consider that he or she
may be unsuited for judging duties, and decline from doing so?

> Here's another situation:  some people do not want a real critique.  They
> want only warm fuzzies.  I really wish that such people would put out a
> notice saying, "Admire my work" while those who want real critiques should
> set out a sign saying, "Real critique, please.  I can take it."  If you
> mistakenly give a real citique to someone who only wants to be told how
> wonderful their work is, then they are apt to be upset and mad at the judge
> for not properly appreciating their masterpiece.

Very true, Mistress Gunnora.  There is, however, a considerable
difference between "not properly appreciating" a piece of work, and
not looking at it at all.

> Artisans just have to realize that sometimes their displays will not
> receive the attention that they should.

Then perhaps it would be fairer to the artisans to clearly state
in the competition rules just what (or who) will be given a judging
and what (or who) will not.  Perhaps those whose work falls not
within those parameters can then spend the time and effort in some
other fashion.

> I have to stress that if you feel your display has not gotten the attention
> which it deserves, make sure to run down a Laurel or two, possibly those
> who share your art, and ask them to review your work.

>  And though in an
> ideal world one shouldn't have to, you could also go speak to the judges
> directly, letting them know that you feel that they have overlooked your work.

An interesting idea.  May I ask what your response to such might be?

Yours in service
Llereth