ANST - Why A&S Gets Ignored

MstrssMara at aol.com MstrssMara at aol.com
Tue Sep 9 08:40:26 PDT 1997

Greetings!

> Several people have commented on feeling uncomfortable judge or commenting
>  on art forms they are not familiar with.  What if an artisan is the only
>  practicer of that art form in the kingdom?  Who is going to comment on
>  his/her work?  Who is going to judge the work?  If no judge takes the time
>  to hear or read my documentation (and I have lots) how can I defend my art
>  form?  In 2 minutes time I could give you a brief synopsis and then you
>  would realize that I have reproduced a period piece and then I could feel
>  someone has at least acknowleged the time spent researching and painting
>  and firing my china pieces.
>  Marthe de Blenkinsop

Marthe,
This is a good reason why documentation is sooooo very important.  Consider
if you will the thought of being at an event.  You are the only Laurel or
perhaps the only Iris.  You are asked to judge the A&S competion.  If there
is documention with the displayed items it is so much easier to judge.
 Especially if it is an area you are not strong in.  And if the displayer is
willing to answer questions and be there (perhaps as a judge you should
request them when you need answers to your questions) it makes the process
smoother and so much less stressful for both parties.  It is your
responisblity as a judge to make the best effort possible to examine the
items before you.  The entrants, no matter how silly you think the item might
be, put time and effort into it.  When I was made a Laurel I took an oath
that I would be gentle in my critism.  What we say to people as judges can
effect them either way.

I won't ramble anymore....

Mara