ANST - Question for Laurels and Iris of Merit holders

Lord Larkin O'Kane larkin at webstar.net
Tue Sep 9 12:41:06 PDT 1997

Wow!  I was going to list all the MLs and CIMs from the ROP before
asking this question, but there are over 300 Masters of Laurel and
Iris of Merit holders listed in the Roll of Precidence as of Feb 96.

I would appreciate private email responses to this post from each of
the Laurels and Iris of Merit holders who read this: reply to
larkin at webstar.net please.

On each of the following catagories would you rate yourself on a scale
of 1-10 on you ability to judge that catagory at an A&S competition.
(1= "I like/dislike it but I know nothing about it. 10="I'm as close
to an expert as there is.")

Of course if you're not a Laurel or an Iris holder then I don't care
how much you know about anything :)  Just kidding folks. If you would
rate yourself 6+ in any of the catagories, please do let me know.

Larkin
===

	I. Costuming: 1. Female court 2. Male Couert 3. Female Tourney 4.
Male Tourney 5. Accessories/single garment
	II. Scriviners Arts: 1. Calligraphy 2. Illumination 3. Calligraphy
& Illumination (whole scrolls) 4. Painting 5. Printing 6. Drawing 7.
Cartography 8. Papermaking 9. Bookbinding
	III. Textile Arts: Woven: 1. Plain 2. Twill 3. Satin 4. Brocade 5.
Damask 6. Tapestry 7. Card 8. Inkle 9. Basketry
	IV. Textile Arts; Non-woven: 1. Carding 2. Spinning 3. Felting 4.
Fabric Painting 5. Dyeing 6. Resist Dyeing 7. Sprang 8. Braiding
	V. Needlework: 1. Surface embroidery 2. Counted work 3.
Needlepoint 4. Needleweaving 5. Beading 6. Applique' 7. Couching 8.
Quilting 9. Stumpwork 10. Cutwork 11. Pulled Thread 12. Gold Work 13.
Strung Jewelry
	VI. Cooking (subleties placed in appropriate subcategory) 1. Main
Dish 2. Side Dish 3. Condiment 4. Bread 5. Sweet Dish 6. Cheese 7.
Non-alcoholic drinks
	VII. Woodwork: 1. Carved (majority work carved) 2. Fabricated
(little carved decoration; non-carved decoration ok) 3. Inlay
	VII. Horn and Bone Working: 1.Carved (Majority work carved) 2.
Fabriocated (little carved decoration; non-carved decoration ok) 3.
Inlay
	IX. Non-Metallic Weapons (majority of item must be non-metallic):
1. Bowyery 2. Fletching 3. SCA weapons 4. Mechanical War Machines
	X. Camping and Homesteading: 1. Shelters 2. SCA Cover-ups
(includes non-camping cover-ups) 3. Gardcening (limited to period
plants) 4. Animal Husbandry (limited to period breeds)
	XI. Sculpture: 1. In the Round 2. Bas Relief
	XII. Ceramics: 1. Coiled 2. Flat Construction 3. Wheel Thrown 4.
Modeled
	XII. Mosaic:
	XIII. Glass: 1. Stained 2. Leaded 3. Cut 4. Blown 5. Bead Making
	XIV. Lace: 1. Bobbin 2. Needle
	X. Knitting:
	XI. Metalwork (ornamental and functional) 1. Casting 2. Cold
Fabrication (no soldering or welding) 3. Hot Fabrication 4. Hot Forged
(majority of work done in a forge) 5. Raised Work 6. Repoussee 7.
Etching
	XII. Tools: 1. Hand Tools (tools that fit in the hand) 2.
Production Tools (such as looms, lathes or pottery wheels) 3.
Scientific
	XIII. Enameling: 1. Cloisonne 2. Champleve 3. Plique a jour 4.
Basse-taille 5. Limoges 6. Grasaille
	XIV. Alchemy: 1. Cooked 2. Non-cooked
	XV. Leatherwork: 1. Fabricated (little or no decorative tooling,
non-tooled decoration ok) 2. Tooled 3. Shaped (includes curboile and
shaped leather vessels)
	XVI. Musical Instruments (no kits allowed): 1. Strung 2. Wood Wind
3. Brass 4. Percussion 5. Keyboard
	XVII. Performing Arts: 1. Instrumental music 2. Vocal music 3.
Readings 4. Monologues 5. Plays 6. Skits 7. Pantomime 8. Court Dance
9. Country Dance 10 Ethnic Dance 11. Other Performances
	XVIII. Writings; Fiction: 1. Tales 2. Plays 3. Poetry
	XIX. Writings; Nonfiction: 1. Historical Research 2. Instructional
Articles 3. Songs (period style, must be performed by someone) 4.
Music (period style, must be performed by someone) 5. Research
projects (must have a paper and a demo or display of the finished
project)
	XX. Brewing: 1. Lager 2. Ale 3. Wines 4. Sparkling Wines 5. Mead
6. Liqueurs