ANST - A&S Judging Suggestions

KiheBard at aol.com KiheBard at aol.com
Tue Sep 9 21:03:56 PDT 1997

In a message dated 97-09-09 00:32:39 EDT, timo writes:

(And thanks, timo, reminds me that I wanted to bend Scipio's
suggestion myself!)

>  'ello all,
>  Scipio wrote.....
>  >How about having entrants submit their documentation 2-3 weeks prior to
the
>  >competition with photos of their submission? Or recipes for
food/beverages?
>  Aww, come on now, that would take away from one of the greatest A&S
>  traditions of them all......
>  Frantically trying to finish your project at 3 am the night before the
>  event! Or even better (bonus points here) finishing it while *actually
>  driving* to the event!   :)

Well, can we at least stretch the point and allow the finishing touches
to be made while a *passenger* in said hurtling conveyance? <gryn>

In the best of worlds (a nonesuch place often cited in this thread
of discussion, I might note), yes, this advance notice plan might be
the normal case. I think it perhaps should become standard when
extensive research papers are the things being judged, and
certainly *some* advance filings may become needed for certain
types of event. (Example: Steppes Artisan *this* year had an
advance-notice table reservation & limitation in place, loosely
applied. I reserved a half-table, I used a half-table...)

Not as easy to accomplish the advance-submission guidelines
for many of the major body-of-work displays, but still
something that might help on the morning of the competition.

[frantic contest organizer: "Pardon me, Mistress Laurel Seamchecker,
but do we have *anybody* coming to the event who can judge
gold-plated whangdoodle construction, or proper collection
techniques & display options for them?"]

>  timo
>  darnedfashionablefeelprivaledgedtobealefty

Amra
notaleftybutprivilegedtoknowsomeofthebestandbrightest
(andknowntousehislefttogoodadvantagewhenneedbe)