ANST - ccMail SMTPLINK Undeliverable Message

ccMail SMTPLINK Mike_Golden at mmacmail.jccbi.gov
Tue Sep 9 23:44:58 PDT 1997

Message undeliverable at this time

 Original text follows
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 97 00:45:25 CDT
From: Mike_Golden at mmacmail.jccbi.gov (ccMail SMTPLINK)
To: ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject: ANST - ccMail SMTPLINK Undeliverable Message
Sender: owner-ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG

Message undeliverable at this time

 Original text follows
From: KiheBard at aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 00:08:03 -0400 (EDT)
To: ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject: Re: ANST - Why A&S Gets Ignored
Sender: owner-ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG

In a message dated 97-09-09 09:42:29 EDT, Eowyn writes:

(quoting Herskerinde Gunnora)

> > white stuff.  But what do you do when there are NO redeeming qualities
>  > other than the fact that you have an enthusiastic artisan?  I'd like to
>  > hear wat judges and or Laurels have to say, but I'd also really like to
>  > hear from the artisans... what would you want a judge to say to you if
 what
>  > you had displayed was really, really bad?
>
>  I don't adhere to the "fluff" theory.  I do try to be tactful when
>  making comments and try to place myself in the artisan's position -
>  would I be devastated with the comment if it appeared for one of my
>  works?
>
>  Personally, I want a real critique.  Fluff does not help me get
>  better at my art.  But a real critique doesn't have to hurt.  I
>  choose to objectively look at the critique and take it at face value
>  and not a personal attack upon my person.

Chalk me up as wanting a real critique as well. I can't abide by
fluff, and won't dispense it unless I absolutely have to. Fortunately
for both me and those whose works I comment on from time to
time, I have a reasonably broad-reaching command of language.

Although, even that is not what I ultimately was wanting at this
most recent Steppes Artisan. I would have loved more feedback,
certainly, but a significant portion of my reason for entering
was to show my friends and SCA acquaintances that I am
capable of more than just making noise, breaking a sweat,
and separating the foolish from filthy lucre in exchange for
useful steel implements (or contracted care and maintenance
for the same.)

[Translation: I'm a bard, herald, fairly regular worker, and
knife merchant / blade sharpener. I also do a whack of a
lot of other SCA-related things, some of which no one
in the Steppes had ever seen me turn my hand to...to the
best of my knowledge, anyway.]

TOPIC DRIFT ALERT!  The thread title, "Why A&S Gets Ignored",
actually brings up an ongoing sore point: too many of our
separate SCA communities don't regularly support one another.

I do NOT bring this up again with any thought to diminish
the importance of the discussion about judging competitions.
I do NOT bring this up to try and widen gaps. I call attention
to the condition in order that we might all try and do something
about it.

What to do? *That* would be telling.

But I think if we all dig down, we can think of simple things
which would reinforce our own enjoyment of the SCA and
also assist others in *their* pursuit of the Dream.

Amra