ANST - Question for Laurels and Iris of Merit holders

Heidi Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Wed Sep 10 11:03:41 PDT 1997

Greetings all!

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Pug Bainter wrote:

> > I think you need to add "Poetry" (written and performance) to this list,
> > as well as Herbalism.
>
> Herbalism I think should be one of the following:
>
> > > 	X. Camping and Homesteading: 1. Shelters 2. SCA Cover-ups
> > > (includes non-camping cover-ups) 3. Gardcening (limited to period
> > > plants) 4. Animal Husbandry (limited to period breeds)
> > > 	XIV. Alchemy: 1. Cooked 2. Non-cooked
> > > 	XX. Brewing: 1. Lager 2. Ale 3. Wines 4. Sparkling Wines 5. Mead
> > > 6. Liqueurs

Pug, I must disagree.  Herbalism is a pretty vast field, actually.  It can
and often does incorporate growing herbs, finding-identifying them in the
wild, harvesting and drying, the various uses they can be put to
(medicinal, cosmetic, culinary, theraputic) and the various forms they can
take (ointments, teas, oils, poultices, etc.)

I say it deserves its own category.  Any other herbalists out there agree?

> Poetry falls under:
>
> > > 	XVII. Performing Arts: 1. Instrumental music 2. Vocal music 3.
> > > Readings 4. Monologues 5. Plays 6. Skits 7. Pantomime 8. Court Dance
> > > 9. Country Dance 10 Ethnic Dance 11. Other Performances
> > > 	XVIII. Writings; Fiction: 1. Tales 2. Plays 3. Poetry

OK, I missed poetry in the written part -- t
ho why does it necessarily
classify as fiction?  Much poetry is history.  I've written a few myself
chronicling actual events (tho their historic value may be debated.)

Also, where do you stick poetry under Performance?  Readings?  Uh uh.  My
experience is that "read" poetry is generally inferior to memorized,
recited and performed poetry, as any who have seen a really good performer
will attest.

I'm sticking by my opinions on this one, folks.  (For what it's worth.)

Yours,
Mari