ANST - A&S Judging Suggestions

Heidi Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Wed Sep 10 11:17:30 PDT 1997

Greetings Baron Bors!

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997 Baronman at aol.com wrote:

> >> I can definitely see requiring advance submission of research papers, but
> >> documentation? No. Shouldn't be necessary. Documentation is ideally short
> >> but concise, maybe a page or so, plus bibliography/references/pictures.
>
> How come in the A&S events I used to enter, the requirements were three pages
> of documentation- have things changed that much in five years?

What competition was this, Bors?  I have never seen or entered one where
that much documentation was required -- I'm surprised anyone entered.

I've been a Laurel for over 11 years now, and was pretty conversant with
what they wanted by way of documentation prior to that.  The standard of
the Laurels I ran around with (and my own even now) is that 1 page would
be great, 1 1/2 or 2 with bibliography.  Judges generally don't have time
to read more than 3 pages of documentation and prefer it to be more
concise.

In fact, for awhile there, a lot of competitions weren't even requiring it
because people were so scared of it.

Could this have been an event-specific requirement?

Mari