ANST - Re:A&S Questionare

Lord Larkin O'Kane larkin at webstar.net
Thu Sep 11 17:13:30 PDT 1997

To the Laurels, Irises and others with expertise in Arts and Sciences
as practiced in the Society for Creative Anachronism.  I am attempting
to compile a database of the expertise in the Kingdom of Ansteorra as
it pertains to judging Arts & Sciences projects.

Your can help tremendously by answering the following questionaire by
indicating your ability to judge each of the Catagories and
Subcatagories on a scale of 1-10 [1= "I like/dislike it but don't
qualifiy to judge it." 10 = "I'm as near to an expert as you'll likely
find."

If you leave a catagory blank I will assume you have no expertise in
that catagory but please leave the form intact as I am transferring
the information to a spreadsheet and it makes the job much easier to
be able to just go down the list.  I appreciate all the comments I've
been getting on what catagories should/should not be there but please
either indicate them in another message or at the end of this
response.

CATEGORIES
I. Costuming
1. Female Court
2. Male court
3. Female Tourney
4. Male Tourney
5 Accessories/single garment
II. Scriviners Arts
1. Calligraphy
2. Illumination
3. Calligraphy & Illumination (whole Scrolls
4. Painting
5. Printing
6. Drawing
7. Cartography
8. Papermaking
9. Bookbinding
III. Textile Arts: Woven
1. Plain
2. Twill
3. Satin
4. Brocade
5. Damask
6. Tapestry
7. Card
8. Inkle
9. Basketry
10 Nallbinding
IV. Textile Arts: Non-Woven
1. Carding
2. Spinning
3. Felting
4. Fabric Painting
5. Dyeing
6. Resist Dyeing
7. Sprang
8. Braiding
V. Needlework
1. Surface embroidery
2. Counted Work
3. Needlepoint
4. Needleweaving
5. Beading
6. Applique'
7. Couching
8. Quilting
9. Stumpwork
10. Cutwork
11. Pulled Thread
12. Gold Work
13. Strung Jewelry
VI. Cooking (subleties placed in appropriate subcategory)
1. Main Dish
2. Side dish
3. Condiment
4. Bread
5. Sweet Dish
6. Cheese
7. Non-alcoholic drinks
VII. Woodwork
1. Carved (majority work carved)
2. Fagricated (little carved decoration; non-carved decoration ok.
3. Inlay
VII. Horn and Bone Working
1. Carved (majority of work carved)
2. Fabricated (little carved decoration, non-carved decoration ok)
3. Inlay
VIII. Non-Metallic Weapons (Majority of item must be non-metalic)
1. Bowyery
2. Fletching
3. SCA weapons
4. Mechanical War Machines
IX. Camping and Homesteading
1. Shelters
2. SCA Cover-ups (iincludes non-camping coverups)
3. Gardening (limited to period plants)
4. Animal Husbandry (limited to period breeds)
X. Sculpture
1. In the round
2. Bas Relief
XI. Ceramics
1. Coiled
2. Flat Construction
3. Wheel Thrown
4. Modeled
XII. Mosaic
XIII. Glass
1. Stained
2. Leaded
3. Cut
4. Blown
5. Bead Making
XIV. Lace
1.Bobbin
2. Needle
XV. Knitting
XVI. Metalwork (ornamental and functional)
1. Casting
2. Cold Fabrication (no soldering or welding)
3.  Hot Fabrication
4. Hot Forged (Majority of work done in a forge)
5. Raised Work
6. Repoussee
7. Etching
XVII. Tools
1. Hand Tools (tools that fit in the hand)
2. Production Tools (such as looms, lathes or pottery wheels)
3. Scientific
XVII. Enameling
1. Cloisonne
2. Champleve
3. Plique a jour
4. Basse-taille
5. Limoges
6. Grasaille
XVIII. Alchemy
1. Cooked
2. Non-cooked
XIX. Leatherwork
1. Fabricated (little or no decorative tooling, non-tooled decoration
ok)
2. Tooled
3. Shaped (includes curboile and shaped leather vessels)
XX. Musical Instruments (no kits allowed)
1. Strung
2. Wood Wind
3. Brass
4. Percussion
5. Keyboard
XXI. Performing Arts
1. Instrumental music
2. Vocal music
3. Readings
4. Monologues
5. Plays
6. Skits
7. Pantomime
8. Court Dance
9. Country Dance
10. Ethnic Dance
11. Other Performances
XXII. Writings: Fiction
1. Tales
2. Plays
3. Poetry
XXIII. Writing: Nonfiction
1. Historical Research
2. Instructional Articles
3. Songs (period style, must be performed by someone)
4. Music (period style, must be performed by someone)
5. Research projects (must have a paper and a demo or display of the
finished project)
XXIV. Brewing
1. Lager
2. Ale