ANST - Stefan's files for October

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sat Sep 13 23:52:33 PDT 1997

A Blending of the Past and Present

Because I am now getting materials for my files from a variety of sources in
addition to the Rialto (rec.org.sca) including articles sent to me by email
and several mail lists, I have decided to rename my files, StefanÕs Florilegium.

Florilegium - (literally, "a gathering of flowers").  In medieval times,
Florilegia were collections of choice tidbits (from Ovid, Aristotle, various
popes, church scholars, etc.) arranged topically. Typically, a florilegium is
huge, encyclopedic, and contains only choice selections from particular works.

Anyone interested in these files is encouraged to request a copy of my complete
filelist by email. I can send this filelist or any of these files by email or
even by copying them to a computer diskette if you donÕt have WWW access.

Those of you who have World-Wide-Web (WWW) access can get these files at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html.

    Ld. Stefan li Rous         markh at risc.sps.mot.com
    Ansteorra                  (512)892-0036

Here are the new files for this month:

AS-food-msg           Displaying food items at A&S events.
cb-rv-Apicius-msg     Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
cheap-meats-msg       Cheap meats for feasts. Cooking with them.
Compleat-Cook-art     ÒThe Compleat CookÓ by Dame Alys Katharine.
fd-Italy-msg          Period Italian food. Cookbooks.
fleece-types-art      ÒFleece Types in the Middle AgesÓ by Ailene nic Aedain.
largess-ideas-msg     Ideas for largess and gifts. Royalty gifts.
looms-msg             Medieval looms.
paper-msg             Medieval paper. Sources for similar paper.
taverns-msg           SCA and period taverns.

I am also happy to announce the addition of these articles from
Mistress Nicolaa de Bracton of Leicester:

confession-art        ÒGoing to Confession in the Middle AgesÓ.
Crit-Research-art     ÒGetting the Most Out of Your ResearchÓ.
local-hist-art        ÒUsing Local Histories for SCA ResearchÓ
Paleo-Scribes.art     ÒAn Introduction to Palaeography for ScribesÓ
pop-religion-art      ÒChristianity and Popular Practice in the Middle AgesÓ.

These files have had substantial additions this past month:

beadwork-msg          Beadwork on clothing. Bead types, sources.
dairy-prod-msg        Dairy products. milk, butter, curds, cream.
Gypsies-msg           Gypsy culture. Also called Rom or Romani.
kniting-msg           Period kniting.
perfumes-msg          Medieval perfumes and pomanders.
saffron-msg           Types of saffron. period uses.
sewing-msg            Sewing ideas and stitches.
toys-msg              Period and SCA toys.
velvet-msg            Medieval velvets. Modern substitutions.
Wales-msg             Welsh culture. avail. newsletters.

---
Copyright 1997, Mark S. Harris, 5628 Wagon Train Rd. Austin TX  78749.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged.

<end>