ANST - Metal Casting

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Sep 15 01:02:12 PDT 1997

Ld Bodach Tearlach of Black Lake asked "do we have an Iris or a Laurel that
does Jewelry like I do??"

Well, not having yet had the chance to see your work (but I expect I will
see it in November!) I can't swear that "I do it like you do" but I have
done more than a bit of casting, mostly sandcasting, some casting into
soapstone molds, and a lot of lost wax casting.  Right now I have no
equipment for casting, so I haven't actually done any since about 1991.
However, I have several very nice chunks of soapstone boulder sitting here
waiting for me to make molds, and I have been researching Viking
tortoise-brooch construction and design hoping to set up to do my own
brooches using period casting and mold-making techniques very soon.

The Honorable Lady Gala Cunningham of Bryn Gwlad, the fine gentle who
received not one but TWO Irises at Coronation, also does very nice casting
work, and is conversant with lost wax, sheet metal fabrication, and I know
I've heard her speak of sand casting and sling casting.  I assume that
she'll be attending Kingdom A&S, or Mistress Branwyn will probably apply a
boot where it will do good as Gala's her apprentice.

And Lord Stefan li Rous, also of Bryn Gwlad,  has been experimenting with
period pewter casting techniques, especially recreating things like
pilgrims' badges.  I suspect that Stefan has a collection of interesting
articles on the topic available online via his collected Rialto/Florilegium
files.

By the way, good folk, if you cannot attend Kingdom A&S in person, do not
forget that you can send your entries to the event with someone who is
going, and that you do not have to be there in person to participate!

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)