ANST - Indian Clothing, Food, and Culture

KiheBard at aol.com KiheBard at aol.com
Wed Sep 17 20:53:53 PDT 1997

In a message dated 97-09-17 16:58:21 EDT, brain41 at io.com writes:

> My lady has instructed me to send all of Ansteorra the following
>  missive:

Then you have done right well in presenting your words, and hers.

>  "I am interested in putting together a social group to study the
>  clothing,  food,  and culture of period India.  I am currently residing
>  in Bryn Gwlad (Austin),  but would be happy to get together with gentles
>  from elsewhere. My friend Zahara and I have been wearing period Indian
>  costume and we noticed that there was interest in what we were doing.
>  We would like to get together and share the information that we have
>  gathered.  Also,  we had an idea of having Henna parties and also if
>  people were interested,  going on field trips to Houston or Dallas to
>  shop at the varied Indian stores there."

I might suggest that your party inquire of HL Saqra al-Kudsi about
sources and stores in the Dallas area.  I suspect that most of the
"best" will actually be located in or near Richardson (at least two or
three sari stores within sight of Central Expressway, north of
Spring Valley). While Saqra specializes more in Arab information,
there is sufficient cross-pollination to assist.

My own investigations are woefully inadequate and piecemeal,
so I would be greatful to hear of your successes.

While all of this is interesting to me in some ways, if I may make a
further suggestion: having once assembled a body of knowledge,
teach it widely! wInterKingdom, Kingdom A&S, King's College, and
many other venues are possible.

>  Having completeled my task I bid you farewell.

>  P.S.  Should you be interested,  please email me.

Mailed and list-posted.

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, in Ansteorra accorded recognition
as al-Sayyid (and whose long boring persona story spends a number
of years in the Indias)

Amra / Kihe / Mike ... F.O.B.