ANST - RE: Indian Clothing, Food, and Culture

Angelina Whitford Angelina at aimetering.com
Thu Sep 18 07:59:55 PDT 1997

Isaac the hermit wrote (on behalf of his lady):

	I am interested in putting together a social group to study the
clothing,  food,
	and culture of period India.

What a wonderful idea!  The first thing I would suggest is that your
lady and others interested in India pick a specific region.  "Period
India" is like saying "period Europe" in that the category is so vast as
to be difficult to work with.  The second thing would be to pick a
period because pre-1600 India goes back a long, long way (3-4,000
years).  Depending on the period your lady chooses, she should be aware
that documentation will likely be hard to come by.  There are long
stretches of Indian history where sources are few and far between
especially any dealing with day-to-day life.

If your lady or anyone else is interested in discussing India is more
detail, please contact me.  I have a master's degree in South Asian
history and am working on a Ph.D. in this field.

Angelina M. Whitford
amw at mail.utexas.edu
angelina at aimetering.com