ANST - Period Quotes Discussing Books and Libraries

Mjccmc01 at aol.com Mjccmc01 at aol.com
Fri Sep 19 07:16:28 PDT 1997

Hi, Siobhan here.  More book/writing/study quotes:

Erasmus, "When I have money, I buy books.  If there is any left, I buy food."

Francis Bacon, "Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take
for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider."

Thucydides (OK, out of period, but they read him) "A man who has the
knowledge but lacks the power clearly to express it is no better off than if
he never had any ideas at all."

Matthias "Oh, scholars, how happy you are! You strive not after blood-stained
glory nor monarch's crowns, but for the laurels of poetry and virtue!"
 Matthias obviously didn't have to judge/compete in A&S ;-)

Any others?

Fondly,
Siobhan