ANST - Museums

Heidi Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Sun Sep 21 12:28:47 PDT 1997

Greetings all!

Yesterday I rediscovered the McNay Art Museum in San Antonio, TX, no more
than 10 minutes away from me for the past many years.  However, I hadn't
visited since my grade school days.

What a surprise!  I discovered a small but excellent medieval collection,
including stained glass from the 13-15th c., 15th c. Dutch and Italian
portraits (with lots of costuming detail!!!), and some wonderful stone and
wood carvings (again with lots of detail).  I couldn't believe these
things had been literally in my backyard all these years and I'd never
stuck my nose in to check them out.

The museum itself is one of the finest I have ever encountered (and I've
been in lots!).  The grounds are beautiful, the museum itself -- which is
the house.....mansion? villa?  palace? -- Ms. McNay lived and kept her
art collection in -- is gorgeous beyond belief and the displays are very
well done -- even whimsical at times.  After my visit yesterday, I'm
convinced it's the best museum in San Antonio, if not all South Texas.

Also, it's free!  Though you won't get out of the gift shop without
dropping some money.....

I'm writing this to encourage everyone to look into their local museums
(which many of us haven't been inside since grade school field trips) and
look at the displays with both new and older eyes.  If you haven't been
since you joined the SCA, I wager you'll find more interesting things than
you thought were there.

Also, when you find good stuff or know about traveling exhibitions, post
the info here to let people know.  Many of us who travel around the
kingdom to events could easily devote a couple of hours on Sunday to
checking out some good museum exhibits.

There's nothing like a primary source in your own town!

Happy hunting!

Mari