ANST - Order of the Pelican...

claryce at ix.netcom.com claryce at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 22 16:18:32 PDT 1997

Greetings from Claryce, who is just now catching up on the mail.

Pug stated:
>  While at Raven's Fort, the Order of the Pelican was called into court
>  in order to announce the upcoming peerages of two deserving
>  individuals. The disturbing part for me was the fact that there was
>  not a single member of the Order present in court. (I honestly
>couldn't
>  tell you how many were at the event, but I know there was one there
>  earlier in the day since they spoke for Dieter during his Knighting
>  ceremony.)

It was an extremely late court, after a very long, hot day.  I felt no
slight of the Pelicans for not being there, because I figured (as it's been
pointed out)that the Pelicans did not know when it would be announced.

>I noticed only six Masters and Mistresses of the Pelican there
>all day (four were knights).  If they were day-tripping, I certainly
>don't blame them for having left by that hour; quite a few of the
>knights had left, too.

There are times when the day is too long and hot to stay for a long court,
where the temperature did not drop until about 1/2 hour *after* court.  Had
His Majesty not indicated that I needed to be in court, *I* might have left
before the end of court.

As far as attendence numbers are concerned, I've seen several peers of
different orders announced, (and occasionally made) with very few in
attendance.  Unfortunately, this does happen sometimes.

My soon-to-be-brother posted this reply as well:
>I don't believe that the Order of the Pelican is in any danger of
>dying out in Ansteorra, my own induction notwithstanding.  My
>only hesitance in posting a long list of very active members of
>that order is the certainly that I would leave out several who are
>presently engaged in making important contributions.

Agreed.  Wholeheartedly. I, too, could list several working Pelicans.

>Besides, I happen to believe that, Their Majesties having invoked
>his memory a short while earlier in court, William Blackfox was there
>in spirit;  I'm willing to be content with that.

Again, I agree.  I would like to think that he was there.

> - Galen of Bristol
>hoping to be worthy of having
>been announced on the same day
>as Claryce.

{wiping the tear out of the corner of my eye} And I felt very glad to
be there to welcome you as an "almost" brother.

-Claryce Rapheal Orfevre