ANST - Order of the Pelican...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Sep 23 11:46:24 PDT 1997

> (4)  Pug is uncomfortable with the "trend" mentioned by Sir Galen of
> Bristol. By this I assume he means the small population of Pelicans
> compared to other peerages in Ansteorra.

Actually the trend is in part the small population of the Pelicans, in
part is Peers not supporting local events because they are not
interested in the topic.

> Item (2) is a bit misleading.  Yes, many Knights and Laurels attended the
> evening court, but I happen to know that several members of these peerages
> had also departed.  Some even departed during the court.  Many non-peers
> were also not in attendance.

This is primarily the point that there are not as many Pelicans (or
appear not to be). If, as happened this time, a small number of the
Order have reasons to leave early, it is very much noticed since it
means that a small number (or none in this case) are present.

> We can't all attend every event--we simply can't aford it.

And no one, not even me, is asking you to.

> At every court, there will always be
> absent members; I don't think it fair to take them all to task for not
> being present--even if they're peers.

Although I do not ask that all Peers nor individuals be present at all
courts, I think it very important that those from the immediate area, or
even surrounding areas especially if none are local, stay to recognize
those individuals being noticed.

> As Sir Rhodri noted previously,
> only eight Pelicans were in attendance at Raven's Fort. If half
> day-tripped, it's not at all odd that the remaining four should have
> decided to sleep or leave early.

And even more obvious to the populace when they choose to do so. (Not
that they aren't allowed to.)

> Moreover, Pug mentions "resting on laurels," by which I must conclude that
> he is extrapolating a general trend from a single incident at a single late
> court.  We still make late courts; we just missed this one. As far as I
> know, none of the peers in Ansteorra stopped attending late courts
> altogether upon receiving their patents.

Although I may be using this one incident, I am also drawing on other
instances, including those mentioned by Viscount Galen regarding low
peerage attendances at different events. Some of these I had noticed and
they stuck in the back of my head, but didn't come forth until proded.

> Again, however, I want to stress that I agree with what appears to be Pug's
> observation:  Ansteorra should have more Pelicans.

I'm glad it's not just me on this part.

> As to item (6), I'd like to help you, but the proceedings of a peer circle
> are always confidential.  I appreciate your interest and will echo your
> concerns at the next circle.

Thank you.

> Many thanks for your attention, Lord Phelim.  I hope this response has been
> helpful.

It certainly has.

I appreciate all of the time people have helped discussing and in some
cases pointing out where I misstated things or was incorrect.

Ciao,