ANST - Order of the Pelican...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Sep 23 12:02:33 PDT 1997

> >(I also feel that I can't recommend for awards that I neither have
> >[or within range of getting] nor am able to judge either due to lack
> >knowledge of the skill.)
> This is something I have heard over and over again and I disagree with
> it.

That is fine. There are lots of things that I will enourage others to do
that I am not comfortable doing myself.

For the most part I agree with you. Unfortunately as an individual, I
can not bring myself to recommend for something when I still haven't
figured out the criteria for it.

I *think* I know the criteria, which is mostly gut feelings, for AoA,
Crane, Star, Thistle, Iris, and the local awards (worked out from the
corresponding Kingdom level). Of course this is mostly from viewing who
has been elevated to these ranks over the years.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what I'd use as a measuring stick for
Falcon, Centurian, or any of the peerages since I either don't know the
area from lack of experience or there are so many more things going into
it that I haven't sorted them out.

> As for recommending peers, you have very aptly stated some of the
> requirements for peerage:
[...]
> Even though most of us are not a peer, any of us are qualified to
> recommend someone because each of us know the general guidelines above
> and its reasonably possible for anyone to know what good/excellent
> fighting is, arts done consistently well or service above the norm.

Uhh. I guess so. Hmmm. I'll have to think more on it from that
viewpoint.

> Please do not let lack of a specific award keep you from nominating
> someone for that award.

Oh, it certainly isn't. What I am trying to figure out is what makes up
each award level in my mind. (Not that I'll hold myself up to that
measuring stick.) I am then writing down my recommendations for the
Crown and/or local nobility.

Ciao,