ANST - kingdom A&S

cward at awd.com cward at awd.com
Tue Sep 30 22:38:29 PDT 1997

Sael of heill!

Greetings, Larkin from Gunnora (writing from my work account where I am
still slaving over a hot computer)

Basically, a Noble's Prize Tournament is one in which the artisans display
whatever they want to , hopefully with documentation though it is not
absolutely necessary, and the nobility (the Crown, landed barons and
baronesses, dukes, duchesses, counts, countesses, earls, jarls, grafs,
viscounts and viscountesses, court barons and baronesses, etc.) take time
to look these items over, and to reward the artisans for excellent work by
giving them praise, wordfame, and gifts.

Basically, this is the same as a Laurel's prize Tourney (LPT), but being
judged by people who don't normally do A&S judging in many cases instead of
the Laurels.

The reason why we are doing it this way is at Her Majesty's request, so
that the Laurels can pay careful attention to the items being entered into
the category display for the Kingdom Arts and Sciences competition and give
really good critiques, and do this for every person entering the Kingdom
A&S no matter what.

Also, it allows a very period practice by having the nobility offer their
patronage and recognition to worthy artists.

Doing a category competition *and* an LPT would have essentially required
the Laurels to judge two full-scale events.  If you were at the last  LPT,
you may have noticed that the Laurels were on the floor judging from
opening until just before the displays were cleared, and many of us were
working only on those entries which we had enough knowledge about to
adequately discuss, and still didn't have time to see everything.

Had the Laurels tried to judge both the Kingdom A&S *and* a LPT, Her
Majesty was concerned that neither thing would be done well, and Her
Stellar Majesty's loyal subjects certainly deserve better from Her Laurels.

The artisans want careful consideration and well-thought out, useful, and
constructive critiques. The nobility wants to encourage their subjects to
excell and by so doing bring honor and wordfame back to the nobles.  The
Laurels want to do an excellent job judging.

I believe that Her Majesty's suggestion is an excellent one, and will make
everybody get more of what they want and deserve.

Was thu heill,
::GUNNORA::
-------------
Original Text
From: "Lord Larkin O'Kane" <larkin at webstar.net>, on 9/30/97 11:09 PM:
On Tue, 30 Sep 1997 21:52:31 -0500 (CDT), Lisa Carter
<zkr26 at ttacs1.ttu.edu> wrote:

>GREETINGS!
>>
>At Her Majesty's suggestion, Kingdom A&S will have a NOBLE'S PRIZE TOURNEY
>instead of a Laurels' Prize tourney.  This will enable the kingdom's
Laurels to
>give their full attention to the artisans who are competing in Kingdom
>A&S - and will give those others who have decided to display their arts an
>opportunity to be recognized.  All Nobles are welcomed.  Please contact
>me, Countess Margaret or Mistress Aeslyn if you would like to participate
>or you have any questions.

What's the difference between a Nobel's Prize Tourney and a Laurels
Prize Tourney?

Larkin
===