ANST - Gothic War

Ghislaine Fontanneau/Elayne Hoover elyh at wcc.net
Wed Sep 3 01:29:07 PDT 1997

Lisa Carter wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Scott White wrote:
>
> > OK, I suppose this is period, but as I fighter I had to wonder -- what
> > exactly WERE we fighting for/about?
> >
> > Can anyone fill me in on the Anna/Martha/Mother/Daughter thing?
>
> For the last six years HE Anna and HE Martha have had this dispute
> (unmentioned).  Each year there would be a trial by combat to settle this
> disagreement.  Until this year - it had always been a tie.  The
> Mother/daughter thing I believe arises from the lineage of the Amazon
> household.  I believe that Martha is Anna's mother in regards to this but
> I could be mistaken.
>
> Learning to Serve the Dream,
>
> Kayleigh Drake

Indeed.  As I understand things, the war was created as an excuse for
large melee practice.  It began with Hakaan leading one force and
Cadwalder leading the other.  After that year (or was it two...?) Marthe
and Anna came up with their inspiring battle plot (after all, is not
Marthe more inspiring than Cadwalder?).  Marthe is Anna's mother in the
Amazon household; both of then descendants of the great Mama Regina.
Typically, those participating in the war were asked to choose sides by
drawing a bead or some other random method.  However, each baroness was
allowed a guard of hand picked fighters, so that it was possible for
fighter's to fight for the baroness they knew and loved and whose local
group they played with.  Each year war points are given for many areas:
heavy combat, Rapier combat, A&S, etc.  However, somehow inexplicably,
the war always ended in a tie.  This year Anna won!  And now the family
dispute is settled, but come back next year for more exiting reasons to
fight!

Ghia

--
Madame Ghislaine Fontanneau