ANST - New noncombat topic

Dennis Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Sep 7 19:20:38 PDT 1997

Hi all. Aquilanne here.

and Marthe wrote:
>Fellow Ansteorrans,
>I have just read Amr's statement.  I had a similar experience at Steppes
>Artisan 2 years ago.  I have been entering my porcelain art in A&S for 12
>years.  In all that time, I have received no acknowlegment that I even
>existed.  I have steadily increased the volume of my documentation.  I
>have even documented realistic art (as opposed to 2 dimensional as seen in
>illuminations and on tiles), the type of paint I use, etc.  As far as I
>know, no one has even looked at it.  Its not period.  Go figure.

I wasn't at either event referred to, so I obviously can't make an informed
judgement concerning either Amra's or Marthe's experiences. However, having
just been to Stargate's Baronial Championship and perused the A&S display
and added comments to those of others on some of the displays, I thought
I'd just share a couple things. I don't comment on every  A&S entry. I
can't comment on some things (as a recovering alcoholic, it'd be on the
stupid side to attempt to judge brewing, for example). I don't comment in
areas where I have no real background to speak of, say, weaving. I don't
think it fair to just see something pretty (like the pretty woven shawl I
saw at Stargate Baronial) and just say, "I like this, it's pretty and feels
soft and squishy!" Yes, I know kudos and praise are important, but I feel
that in more formal settings, like most any A&S display, that constructive
comments and praise from someone who knows what they're talking about are
more valuable and appropriate.

On the other hand, if I noticed that *no one else* had left any comments
for an entry, I might try to add whatever tertiary comment I might be able
to offer on such things as composition, color quality, etc. that might be
appropriate to the piece.

I have to say, though, that I see Amra's and Marthe's experiences as
terribly discouraging. Tell you what--if I'm ever at an event where
porcelain or stained glass or leatherworking is on display with both
documentation and comment sheets on hand, I guarantee I'll look and leave
some comments for the entrants. Sometimes these events can get hectic, but
we gotta work to recognize and encourage folk's efforts.

Amra, I applaud your response to your experience: to not forget what it's
like to feel overlooked and therefore work to help insure that others don't
have a similar experience. Siobhan asked for examples of chivalry in
A&S--this is an excellent example of chivalry on the A&S playing field;
thank you, Amra.

Aquilanne
Dory Grace--The Inkwell
denouncer of Tytvylus & warrior crone