ANST - Whips in the SCA????

Lyonesse tym3425 at omega.uta.edu
Mon Sep 8 09:15:18 PDT 1997

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997 KiheBard at aol.com wrote:

> (I'm addressing the safety & demonstration issues at the end,
> so if you don't like tirades against what I have perceived as
> incomplete / possibly inaccurate claims about historicity,
> please page down.)
>
> In a message dated 97-09-05 00:04:41 EDT, that bard-type fellow wrote:
>
> > It wasn't until the late 1700's that braided leather was used in the
> >  making of whips.

Actually the Tatars used short braided whips as part of their armaments
<sp> in the 10th and 11th centuries as they invaded the Steppes and
cities of Medievial and Ancient Russia and the modern day Slavic states.
They (almost) never used the whips on their own horses, but used them
on the opposition and their horse, to help pull them off or at least sppok
their animal enough it fled the field of battle.

Trishka Makowski
Incipient College of Three Bridges

***
This is Mac.                                            \\\\|////
He wants to travel the world.                           ( O   O )
Please add him to your .sig and help him.          ---oOOo--U--oOOo---