ANST - communication 101 for artists

Dennis Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 8 20:36:34 PDT 1997

Gunnora wrote:
>Here's another situation:  some people do not want a real critique.  They
>want only warm fuzzies.  I really wish that such people would put out a
>notice saying, "Admire my work" while those who want real critiques should
>set out a sign saying, "Real critique, please.  I can take it."  If you
>mistakenly give a real citique to someone who only wants to be told how
>wonderful their work is, then they are apt to be upset and mad at the judge
>for not properly appreciating their masterpiece.

People who only want warm fuzzies and don't want constructive criticism
(read here "people who aren't interested in learning"), then they shouldn't
enter a Kingdom A&S competition. They are better off displaying at LPT's or
other such "non-threatening" venues, or just showing their work to people
who can be counted on to just say bland and insipid stuff like "how nice."
Yes, praise and kudos are wonderful and everyone needs a good dose of it
now and again, but being served a steady diet of nothing but polite praise
doesn't do anyone any good.

>I have to stress that if you feel your display has not gotten the attention
>which it deserves, make sure to run down a Laurel or two, possibly those
>who share your art, and ask them to review your work.  And though in an
>ideal world one shouldn't have to, you could also go speak to the judges
>directly, letting them know that you feel that they have overlooked your
work.

Absolutely. Communication good. Harbored resentments bad. What's the worse
thing that could happen if an artist goes up to a Laurel and says "I feel
like my work is being overlooked; could you come look at it or else direct
me to someone qualified to give me some feedback?" Eh? What is the very
worse thing that is likely to happen? Maybe find out that no one on site
that day knows enough about your artform to give qualified feedback? Maybe
find out that the one or two qualified judges just haven't gotten to your
work yet, or that someone in their camp broke a leg and they had to leave
to take them into town? You're just not likely to find out unless you speak
up and ask. Communication--it's not just for breakfast anymore. ;->

Aquilanne
Dory Grace--The Inkwell
denouncer of Tytvylus & warrior crone
amazing at mail.utexas.edu