ANST - porcelain

Martha Lee Nichols mnichols at tenet.edu
Mon Sep 8 21:07:28 PDT 1997

HL Jin Liu Ch'ang,
I realize in my period, Europeans neither produced nor purchased Chinese
Porcelain.  My art form developed in China and many of these pieces still
exist in museums today.  The Moors in Spain had the knowledge of this type
of mineral overglaze and decorated not only porcelain but fine earthenware
and tiles as well with them.  The next advance occurred in the 14th c.
when many attempts were made to reproduce porcelain as fine as that of
China.  Authorities call the resulting pieces faisence.  I believe that
this medium was indeed the porcelain dipped earthenware.  My artform uses
commercially produced porcelain (just as the porcelain artists of Urbino
did).  Unfortunately, the beautiful, egg shell thin porcelain is very
rare.  Most china blanks are heavy and clunky.  Just like faisence.  I
have found these faisence plate with ruler's arms in every country in
Europe.  One had a barnyard chicken! (Louvre)
Marthe de Blenkinsop