ANST - Why A&S Gets Ignored

PHYLLIS SPURR PSPURR at r03.tdh.state.tx.us
Tue Sep 9 07:37:34 PDT 1997

> Date sent:      Mon, 08 Sep 1997 17:39:31 -0500
> From:           Gunnora Hallakarva <gunnora at bga.com>

Gunnora asks

What do you do, as a judge, when you are presented with
> the work of some enthusiastic artisan who is proud of their work, when the
> item being displayed is, well, horrible?

I have been in this position and it is difficult.  I try to find one
redeeming quality.  And then tactfully guide the individual towards
someone who is knowledgeable in the field of their endeavor(s).

<snip>

> A few issues back in T.I., I saw a suggestion that judges should not allow
> themselves to give one negative comment unles they have offered 4 or 5 or 6
> positive comments first.   I have heard it  suggested that judges should
> use the "ham sandwich" school of judging, where your critique consists of
> fluffy white stuff, a very thin little slice of meat, and then more fluffy
> white stuff.  But what do you do when there are NO redeeming qualities
> other than the fact that you have an enthusiastic artisan?  I'd like to
> hear wat judges and or Laurels have to say, but I'd also really like to
> hear from the artisans... what would you want a judge to say to you if what
> you had displayed was really, really bad?

I don't adhere to the "fluff" theory.  I do try to be tactful when
making comments and try to place myself in the artisan's position -
would I be devastated with the comment if it appeared for one of my
works?

Personally, I want a real critique.  Fluff does not help me get
better at my art.  But a real critique doesn't have to hurt.  I
choose to objectively look at the critique and take it at face value
and not a personal attack upon my person.

> It's a tough question.  I'd really like someone to tell me, hopefully
> quickly, so I can whisk the offending item out of sight so I don't embarras
> myself.  But what if I thought the item was wonderful?  Would it hurt my
> feelings?  Perhaps. Of course, I usually show off my new works to friends
> before I display, so if I had a disaster I'd know about it before time, and
> thus never enter the day-glo orange polyester houppeland that I am so proud
> of.

I'm usually pretty proud of the work I do.  And my poor friends have
to put up with my "Looky Looky what I did.  Ain't it great!"
attitude.  Fortunately, I have real friends who give me real
critiques before I foolishly display horrendous items.  Not that I
have ever displayed any horrendous items. :)

<snip>

> Here's another situation:  some people do not want a real critique.  They
> want only warm fuzzies.  I really wish that such people would put out a
> notice saying, "Admire my work" while those who want real critiques should
> set out a sign saying, "Real critique, please.  I can take it."  If you
> mistakenly give a real citique to someone who only wants to be told how
> wonderful their work is, then they are apt to be upset and mad at the judge
> for not properly appreciating their masterpiece.

I would like to hope that anyone displaying their work in a
competition would want a real critique.

I can take it.

> Artisans just have to realize that sometimes their displays will
not
> receive the attention that they should.  I am well known for quality
> research papers and documentation.  Now I'd like a show of hands... how
> many judges actually read the research papers or documentation I displayed
> way back when?  That was before the days when we started asking for
> research papers to be sent in in advance, so you were relying on people to
> wander by your display and actually read the document at that time.  Having
> sat with my displays over the years, I can tell you that people rarely
> touched the documentation at all, and never the longer research.  I finally
> had the light of realization come on over my head one day and contented
> myself with sending research papers to T.I., where they did get read.
> Nowdays the entrant who has a research paper sends it in ahead of time, and
> it is given to one of several judges who have agreed to spend the time and
> care necessary to read the papers, look up references if necessary, and
> provide a useful critique.

At Steppes Artisan my documentation was not looked at once by any
judge.  I would hope that the reason for this is because most
individuals are aware of my documentation habits.  However, I did
show my documentation to individuals who were interested in my work
and how it related to their own work.  For them, they copied my
bibliography and asked questions.  Thanks ya'll.

> I have to stress that if you feel your display has not gotten the attention
> which it deserves, make sure to run down a Laurel or two, possibly those
> who share your art, and ask them to review your work.  And though in an
> ideal world one shouldn't have to, you could also go speak to the judges
> directly, letting them know that you feel that they have overlooked your work.

I do exactly that.  Most people are not interested in poetry written
in a Welsh form.  Most people want something to look at in a
display/competition not something they have to work at - like
actually read something.  I know this and do not fault the people who
do this.  No, poetry is not a flashy art.  It is my responsibility to
"harrass" someone into actually looking/reading the poetry for a
critique.

I want to take this opportunity to thank Mistress Gunnora, Mistress
Mari, Master Cedric, Master Thomas of Tenby and Don Robin for
being there for me to harrass!  They have never been anything but
encouraging and supportive - even with real critique.

Seriously folks, for the most part, if you are nice and don't
interrupt people in the middle of their meals or the night, they will
take a look at what you've done, if you ask.

 Phyllis L. Spurr
aka Eowyn ferch Rhys, Elfsea