ANST - Question for Lau

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Mon Sep 15 09:34:35 PDT 1997

> I have a Thistle in metal casting. I mainly carve molds in soapstone.
> It is a great way to make site tokens, buttons, belt ends and other
> doo-dads. Pewter, the costume jewelry of the Middle Ages.
>
> I will be teaching a hands-on class on a Sunday afternoon in October
> in Tempio whenever Dietrich can get it set up.
>
> Stefan li Rous
> markh at risc.sps.mot.com

As a side note... I have been trying to find a source for soapstone.
Could you tell us where you get it from?  Please????

Polydore Pike

I get my soapstone here in Austin at Dyer's Jewelry, Tools and Supplies.
4525 Guadalupe. (512) 451-5565.

But of the two batches I've bought there, the first was only fair for
casting. The second was quite poor. Lots of cracks and occlusions. They
didn't have much on hand, so perhaps this was the worst of that buy.
Hopefully they have gotten a new batch in since then. Since they are
only open M-F, I can't get by there very often.

I am also interested in other sources anyone knows of. I also bought
a box of cuttlefish bone the last time I was at Dyer's. I suspect
they still have some left. They commented that they don't sell much
of it and the box I got had a fairly thick layer of dust on it.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com