ANST - Sumptuary laws (lots o' stuff)

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 18 07:25:52 PDT 1997

Salut, Cosyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Pug responds to Sir Galen of Bristol's comment:
>> Now, as to the matter of regalia, I believe that the only way to view
regalia
>> issues as having been incorporated into law would be if one viewed
>> the policies of the herald's office as having the force of law.  I
believe that
>> only the Star Principal Herald has ever issued any comprehensive
>> guidance in Ansteorra in matters of belts, coronets, or what have you.

with

>Yep.

and cites:

>II 5 e
>
>  The Star Principal Herald shall be responsible for the establishment
>  of guidelines for and approval of all insignia rank applying to all
>  armigerous and non-armigerous titles, ennoblement's, grants, awards,
>  etc., within the Kingdom.

Well, yes and no.  Although it's Star's job to establish said guidelines
and approve said insignia, such guidelines and insignia only have the force
of law if signed into law by the Crown, Sovereign, and Kingdom Seneschal,
which is pretty much what Kingdom law says with:

II.3.p. Kingdom Officers are authorized to issue handbooks or policy
manuals, detailing procedures and policies for their areas of
responsibility. In the event that a Kingdom officer's handbook so
specifies, and it is countersigned by the Kingdom Officer, the Kingdom
Seneschal, and the Crown, the provisions of that handbook are hereby
incorporated as a part of kingdom law.

The problems here seem to be manifold.

First, as Pug notes:

>The Kingdom Law states that all edict and statutory law must be sent to
>the populace. (I 1 d & e)

>Where's my copies of the handbooks that are law?

Second, the Herald's Handbook--from what I can gather from various
scattered reports--has never been ratified in accordance with item II.3.p
of Kingdom Law.

Third, despite the contents of passage II.3.p, Corpora still requires that
ALL changes to Kingdom Law be posted in the Kingdom Chronicle.

A.1.g. (2) Law must be kept current, and all changes thereto must be
proclaimed at Society events and published in the kingdom newsletter. No
provision of law shall be in effect, nor shall the subjects of a realm be
responsible for such provision, until such proclamation and publication
have taken place.

Such being the case, the G.O.o.S. Handbooks, even where ratified, cannot
have the force of law until publication in the Black Star.  This, in turn,
creates yet another problem:

Fourth, to paraphrase Sir Kief's question:  how are we to fund the
publication and dissemination of these tomes?  Even as addenda to the
Kingdom Chronicle, that's a lot of pages to be mailing to a thousand members.

lo vostre por vos servir

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin