ANST - Cuir Boilii (sp?)

cward at awd.com cward at awd.com
Fri Sep 19 11:45:36 PDT 1997

Some cuir buoilli is boiled in salt water.

Other types apparently were done in "wax" howvere I suspect that instead of
paraffin or beeswax, it would have been a much tougher substance with a
higher melting point.

There has recently been a large amount of discussion on the SCA Arts list
regarding the actual composition of period sealing waxes, and they
apparently involved other types of resin that made the wax hard and heat
resistant.  I strongly suspect that the "wax" used in period cuir bouilli
was probably composed much like the period sealing waxes using rosin rather
than wax, or a rosin-wax mixture, rosin-wax-oil, etc.  This would give the
hardness which is reported for cuir bouilli, while avoiding the problems of
stickiness and low melting point.

::GUNNORA::
(from my work account - please send correspondence to gunnora at bga.com)
-------------
Original Text
From: "Amy Kruckemeyer" <akruckemeyer at uai-unger.com>, on 9/19/97 1:24 PM:
Avete!

I have been experimenting with cuir boilli (again, I just don't know how to
spell it!) and have had some small successes with it.  The technique to
which I am referring is where you soak the leather items in a pot of
near-boiling water for a short period of time and the shape the object
around a form until it dries.  It works VERY well.  It is also *highly*
resistant to cuts, and does not become soft in the heat like wax-treated
armor.

I have researched using Caridoc's writings and a few other FAQs I have
found, so I already have some pretty detailed technical information.  I'm
looking for someone who is familiar with this technique, and hopefully has
done it several times.

If anyone is out there, please drop a line back to me.

Abeo!

-Scipio

cjhess at uai-unger.com