ANST - Order of the Pelican...

Mitchell, Paul (DALLAS) Mitchell at dallas.genphysics.com
Mon Sep 22 11:39:00 PDT 1997

Pug asks:
>As Clarissa pointed out, there are a small number of Pelicans attending
>the circles. Is there a reason for not elevating individuals? (Although
>I don't know if Galen can speak on this since he has not yet attending
>Pelican circle.)

I have no cause to doubt that the Pelican circle is much like the belted
circle, in which each member applies his own personal standards
and values in the evaluation of any candidate.  Approval of a candidate
is therefor dependent on a widely varying collection of factors
including
perception, attendance, sobriety, eloquence of those present, and
identity of the current Crown, to name just a few.  All the peerages are
intended to be very difficult to earn.  If the Pelican is given out the
least
often, I suggest it's because there are no autocratting competitions,
no prizes for best officer, no heraldry tournies, or other such
spectacles
as those that help artists and fighters present their skills.  It's
harder to
see service, especially when it's well-done.

 - Galen of Bristol