ANST - Order of the Pelican...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Sep 23 08:59:29 PDT 1997

> What is "not worthy enough to do so"? One does not need to be a member of
> the order to express opinions about them.

Well it may not always be appropriate since we don't have the insite
into the internal workings.

>>  After going home and thinking about what people had said on the list,
>>  as well as in private, I think I got even more concerned and discouraged
>>  by this weekends occurrence. Not to mention the trend that Viscount Galen
>>  pointed out.
> I think I missed his letter--what trends did he mention?

Stating that there was only 2 Knights present at Kingdom Dance, and
other low turnouts at different places.

>>  Not to mention, are there no worthy people within Raven's Fort itself
>>  that are deserving of this peerage? It seems to me that someone there
>>  *has* to be doing a lot of work in order to keep the group going. Isn't
>>  Keif from Raven's Fort? Is he not worthy of this status? If not,
>>  than I am quite certain that I shall never be able to attain this
>>  prestigious and elite Order.
> Is this a formal recommendation?

If it was a formal recommendation for Keif, I would have written it much
more eloquently and sent it directly to TRM and not to the list. This is
more of my personal opinion and I hope others share it. The only reason
that I am not writting a formal recommendation is that *I* truly don't
know how to measure the abilities of a peer to say that they are
"deserving", especially when it comes to the Pelicans. I still haven't
figured out when to make recommendations for local service awards versus
Crane versus Star, let alone what it takes to be a Pelican. Mostly I'm
working on gut feelings right now and my concept of what they mean to
me. (I also feel that I can't recommend for awards that I neither have
[or within range of getting] nor am able to judge either due to lack
knowledge of the skill.)

> The short answer is "no." Most Pelicans are elevated to the order because
> they can't stop working. I could name several whom you would recognise as
> still working.

I am very glad to hear that, and know of a handful myself.
(Unfortunately I don't know who all of the Pelicans are to know for
certain of more.)

> There have been cases (rare ones) of peers of all orders
> judging candidates by their own current standards ("He's not as good as I
> am now/hasn't been working as long as I have now"), and therefore no one
> will qualify. But this is very unusual and I haven't heard a statement like
> that in quite a while.

I'm glad this is not the norm, although it is supposed to be the state
that they are the "typcial" Peer. This means they should be measured
against the current active peerage in consideration of whether they are
doing enough of anything. This is another than that means our Society is
growing. If no one is willing or able to reach this, it means that
either the peerage is so amazing they should be bronzed or that the
Society is dieing.

> I cannot and will not post details of discussions on candidates,

Thank the gods!!!

> But I will say
> that if a candidate is received favourably in one meeting, he will be
> brought up again in another meeting in another area to give people who were
> not present the opportunity to give the Crown their views. This can delay
> things in non-peers' eyes because they are not aware of the discussions.
> But the Crown is required to consult the order--not just some of the order,
> but the whole order.

Hmm. I thought that they only seeked counsel from the Orders (if they
choose to?). I didn't realize that actually discussed it widely,
especailly if the person is looked on favorably by all in attendance.

> As for not attending courts, that is something that I feel should be taken
> up with individuals. I don't think that "the peers" have stopped attending
> courts.

As I said, I understand why individuals have reasons for not being
there, I find it odd and disconcerting that the entirety of the peerage
in question all had excuses.

> I don't think that either of these is an accurate statement. The whole
> concept of peerages is hard for some of us peers to understand, too. And if
> you feel strongly enough to write so eloquently, you are probably voicing
> someone else's opinion, too--someone who, for whatever reason, hasn't
> written this.

I hope that is truly the case.

Thank you for your time.

Ciao,