ANST - Proteges, Squires, Apprentices

cward at awd.com cward at awd.com
Wed Sep 24 15:01:00 PDT 1997

I have to differ somewhat with Sir Galen -- I don't train apprentices to
become Laurels.  I am training them in specific arts sometimes, or coaching
them in effective presentation and display, or perhaps working with them on
documentation.  No matter what else I teach them, I hope to also teach them
the basics of the Courtly Graces as well.

It is entirely possible to become an apprentice solely to learn with no
intent ever to work for a peerage.  In fact, if the only reason a person
wants to become my apprentice is to somehow learn to be a Laurel, then I
will probably not accept them as my apprentice in the first place.

I suspect that the knight-squire relationship is much more likely to be
geared towards training the squire up to one day be a knight.  I think the
peerages differ slightly in how they regard their students, and certainly
no two peers work the same way with their own students.

It would also be false to say that every squire, apprentice or protege will
become a peer one day.  It seems to be advantageous to be a squire if one
wants to be a knight, but it seems to be totally unnecessary to be an
apprentice to become a Laurel.  Certainly most Pelicans were never proteges,
 either.

Just a clarification!

-------------
Original Text
From: "Mitchell, Paul (DALLAS)" <Mitchell at dallas.genphysics.com>, on
9/24/97 2:59 PM:
Bill -

Great questions!

Squires, proteges, apprentices and cadets are labels for kinds
of relationships.  They each have much in common with the
others.  Squires are in training to be members of the chivalry,
usually knights (Masters of Arms often call their squires
"students"), apprentices are in training to become Masters
or Mistresses of the Laurel, proteges aspire to the Order
of the Pelican, and cadets aspire to the Order of the White
Scarf.

I'll use squires as an example, as it's what I know best,
but I feel confident these generalities are true across the
board.

Each knight-squire relationship is different.  I have 5 squires
(going on 6) and each relationship is different from each of
the others.  Each squire has different strengths, weaknesses
and needs, and each knight has different standards, styles
and methods.

How do you become one?  Develop a relationship with a
peer (or Don).  It should be a natural progression from there
to formalize it.  Most (though not all) don't mind talking about
the subject if you want to get their point of view on it.

Theses are not titles like other SCA titles.  They are
not recognition of achievement so much as they are
identifiers for those who've made a commitment to
strive for an ideal.  They do NOT convey rank to
the holder.

They do not signify that the person is "half-way" to
anything.  A King of Ansteorra once said, "all that
red belt really means is that some knight, somewhere,
thinks you can't make it on your own."  Now, that's
a bit harsh, but you can use that line on any squires
that start trying to use their belt to take precedence.

You really can't look at a red belt and have any kind
of good idea of how good the fighter is.  Last Saturday
morning, Sir Axel's squire Dieterich was a knight-
quality fighter (he was knighted that morning).  Next
Saturday morning, Sir Axel's new squire Ozelay
will be, well, not ready for her spurs yet.

Each peer has his own standards for these
associates, and different things they look for.
some want more accomplished students, others
don't require that.  The decision is solely between
the two individuals, although either may consult
others (I usually give my lady veto power over
new squires, and I usually give my other squires
a chance to raise objections, as well).

Ceremonies, too are a variable thing.  I've seen
it done up big in court, and I've seen belts just
tossed to the new squire before a feast.  It all
depends on the individuals' styles and desires.

Does that help?

 - Galen of Bristol
pmitchel at flash.net (hm)
mitchell at dallas.genphysics.com (wk)