ANST - Bill de Provence

Scott Fridenberg scottf at galstar.com
Thu Sep 25 21:10:48 PDT 1997

>I just happened to notice this signature line today:
>>--Bill (who will soon hopefully have a better name once he can nail down
>>some research on 13th c. Provence)

     For 11c - 13c Provence research an execellent place to start is a
book called
 Pilgrims, Heretics, and Lovers by Claude Marks.  Macmillan Publishing
CO., Inc.                                     New York.  ISBN
0-02-579770-0

     The book is an introduction to the Troubadours disguised as a
history book.  It's very readable and makes an execellent introduction to
Provencal culture.
 This book is prouably out of print so you will need to use Inter-Library
Loan if your library doesn't have a copy.  In fact if you want to do much
study on Provence you will prouably get to know your ILL librarian pretty
well.

     Another good book is
    The World of the Troubadurs: Medieval Occitan Society, c. 1100-c. 1300
Linda M. Paterson.  Cambridge University Press 1993.  ISBN 0-521-35240-1
   I belive that this book is still in print.

     I hope this helps.  If anyone is interested in research on the
Troubadours, I've tracked down some pretty good sources, and would be
glad to help.

Robert Fitzmorgan
Barony of Northkeep