ANST - Proteges, Squires, Apprentices

Elizabeth Zimmerman bethzimm at rocketmail.com
Fri Sep 26 19:04:30 PDT 1997

As Galen said, each relationship is similar and each relationship with
your knight, master/mistress, etc. is different.

I asked my Laurel if she would apprentice me.  We went on a short
trial period and then I was accepted.  She had seen my work and felt
she could help me in some areas, and in other areas I was her equal in
work.  The ceremony where I recieved my apprentice belt was private
between myself, her and her other apprentices.  I have seen it done in
court.  One of the things she said she would teach me is what it meant
to be a Laurel and a peer.  This does not preclude me from seeking
instruction or help from others.

When I took the apprentice belt I also took on the obligation of
protecting her honor as my own, since my actions may reflect on her.
I take this obligation vvery seriously.  My actions reflect not only
on myself, but on the society also.  It's fun and a game, but there
are lessons to be learned here.

Afrena O'Dunlaing
still lost in Trimaris and missing Ansteorra 8^(

---Bill Sholar  wrote:

> As a newcomer to the SCA, the recent discussion of Peers has raised
some
> questions. How does one become a Protege, Squire or Apprentice? (Or
> Cadet for that matter?) Are those titles recognition of achievement?
Are