ANST - Traveling INN

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 1 08:13:07 PST 1998

Salut Cozyns.

Lyonel aisai.

>> Right now I am planning to stay as close to period items as possible.

Sir Gunthar quibbles:
>> example..turkey legs, meat pies, coffee, cheesecake
>Now on to my quibble. The foods you mentioned are not period. Maybe the meat
>pies, depending on the recipe. I have no objections to the foods you
mentioned
>except that you asked to make them period.

So here's my quibble on the quibble.  Turkey legs are perfectly period--if
you happen to be in the Western Hemisphere.  Unfortunately, we play a game
that emulates the European Middle Ages, so turkey seems a bit
inappropriate.  I would suggest, as an alternative, smoked chickens.  They
keep well, and they're easy to part out.

As for the coffee, no coffee was not available in medieval Europe.  It
*was* available in Saracen lands, however, after the 8th century.  So if
you're in the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem in the time of the crusades or in
Egypt or Morocco in the 14th century, coffee is readily available.  In
fact, for those gentles stuck in said foreign lands, coffee is about *all*
that's available.  The Islamic traders won't carry wine because Mahomet
told them wine is bad.

Cheesecake and chocolate aer, sadly, right out.  Fresh fruit is always
good, though.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace