ANST - Traveling INN

Wed Apr 1 09:55:35 PST 1998

> I dimly recall hearing that Hungary was famous for turkey production
> in very late period.  Any data?
>
> Daniel "and Turkey was famous for being hungry, so it all
> balances out" de Lincolia

I believe you will find the medieval European "turkey" is the Guinea fowl
(Numida meleagris) which was imported from Africa.  I photographed some
running free in Oklahoma and found them identified as Hungarian Guinea fowl
in a birder's identification book.  Apparently they were imported into the
US for use as a game bird.

Bear