ANST - Middle Ages food icky? Try the Renaissance -yumm!

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Apr 1 14:04:51 PST 1998

> Yes some food may not be period in the Middle Ages but since the SCA
> cutoff is 1599 the variety of food is vast especially when you include
> food, spices, recipes up to the cutoff time.  The Renaissance has GREAT
> FOOD!  So run wild (up to 1599).  Why eat like a Middle Ager (ick!) when
> you can go Renaissance!!!!!!! (GRIN).

Perhaps because there are some very tasty Medieval recipes. That Renaissance
"noveau cuisine" (to quote Duke Cariadoc) is all well and good but the
people in earlier times ate quite well thank you.

The tastes of the Middle Ages may seem a little different to the modern palate
but no more than any other ethnic cuisine.

I attempted to introduce people to the taste of period foods at the last Steppes
12th Night and the next feast I do (Oh, God no!) I will be narrowing the list
to one particular country and date. I think you would like the flavors of
pre-1400 food.

Yers,

Gunthar